Thursday, March 7, 2013

Breakfast in a Glass

I'm 3 years post-op. I've been having a scrambled egg (with or without veggies and/or cheese) at least 3 days per week for the last 3 years and I've never really gotten tired of it. I like scrambled eggs. I like that I can make them taste different based on hot sauce, vegetables, etc. and I can make them in the microwave if I'm in a hurry and they keep me full for awhile. On the days I didn't have eggs, I would have a canned Atkins shake.

Until I spent two mornings at work a couple of weeks ago barfing up scrambled eggs. I have no idea what changed all of a sudden. It was the one food I could always count on being able to eat in the morning and that was gone. When there's a line full of patients waiting and I need to check them in, I don't have time to spend more time in the bathroom than I do at my desk.

Not to mention, it's embarrassing. One of the medical assistants asked me if I wanted her to do a pregnancy test on me.

So...my morning meal has changed. I couldn't face the idea of having an Atkins shake for breakfast every day (all those chemicals! so little nutrition! no variety!) so I decided to experiment with making my own protein smoothies.

I started out with a good protein base - I have fallen in LOVE with Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey. It's naturally sweetened with honey powder, but not TOO cloyingly sweet like I find the artificially sweetened powders. Plus it has oats in it so it's got plenty of fiber. This is the nutrition label:


Yes, it has 8 grams of sugar per full scoop (and I only use 1/2 scoop), but consider that a can of Slimfast has EIGHTEEN grams of sugar and less than half the protein. This stuff is not so bad.

Then I add my liquid. I discovered Blue Diamond unsweetened coconut/almond milk blend. It's only 45 calories per cup and absolutely deliciously decadent! I found it in the chilled milk section at Target.




From there, I can add whatever fruits and veggies I want. This one had raw spinach, pineapple, mango, blueberries, and strawberries:




Today's smoothie was exceptional - raw spinach, one small carrot, a small handful of blueberries, and a few chunks of frozen pineapple. YUM. So much nutrition! I feel like I have LOADS of energy and don't feel weighed down after breakfast.




With that said...I'm off to work out! See you later.

2 comments:

FitBy40 said...

Funny, scrambled egg was the very first thing that I ever had an 'incident' with. It was shortly after a fill, and I had worked out like mad that morning. I'm sure I was inflamed from those things but didn't know it until it was too late.
I now have a shake every morning too, and I love the different flavors I can come up with depending on what fruits and veggies I add in. Pineapple is our new favorite fruit to throw in, but I'll use pretty much anything!

Run, Chelle, Run! said...

Do you find the shakes filling? I'm always trying to find something that will last me through the morning!