Sunday, November 11, 2012

Baked Oatmeal

Michelle asked how I make my baked oatmeal. This is the basic recipe as written, but I make some changes (see below)...


Ingredients

• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup chopped nuts
• 1/4 cup raisins
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

• Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cut into squares.

My changes...

I use regular long cooking oats (NOT steel cut) because I prefer the texture. I reduce the sugar to 1/3 cup and the oil to 3 Tbsp. I then add 1/2 cup of some sort of fruit puree (my favorite is pumpkin, but unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana works too). I increase the cinnamon to 1 to 1.5 Tbsp. because I love it - or I'll use pumpkin pie spice if I'm using pumpkin puree for the fruit. I don't like raisins so I omit them, but sometimes will use dried cranberries instead. I've made it with or without nuts. I also find that it needs a little longer to bake - 35 minutes or so. I like the top to be a little crunchy.

I made one batch with frozen raspberries and blueberries - it wasn't as good. They were a bit mushy. I'm going to try fresh chopped apples and dried cranberries and see how that is.

There you have it! Easy as can be.




No comments: