Thursday, November 29, 2012

Recipe: Deviled Egg Salad

I've been on a bit of a sugar/carb detox after gaining a few pounds over Thanksgiving and my wedding vow renewal. This may give you an idea why:






















So anyway...I'm eating very little sugar/carbs for a couple of weeks until my pants feel good again. This is a recipe I came up with for lunch, and woowee...it's slap-yer-mama good.

I don't normally like egg salad (except when my sister makes it with yogurt...hers is kinda delicious) but I LOVE deviled eggs. Go figure. It's a texture thing. But deviled eggs are kind of a pain in the butt to make in bulk, and transport for lunch and snacking. So I saw a recipe for deviled egg salad and I changed it a bit to suit my tastes. (Measurements are approximate - everything is "to taste" - I ended up using more hot sauce but didn't exactly measure...I love the stuff.) Yesterday for lunch, I made a salad with a bed of romaine, celery, a couple of ounces of grilled chicken, a scoop of egg salad, and a sprinkle of bleu cheese. Delicious!

Deviled Egg Salad

8 hard boiled eggs, whites and yolks separated, whites roughly chopped
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. hot sauce (I used Texas Pete's in this recipe)
Salt & pepper - to taste
3 scallions, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped

Mash egg yolks with mayo, mustard, vinegar, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Toss yolk mixture and veggies with egg whites. Chill. Eat.

3 comments:

jennxaz said...

mmm I will have to try that...vinegar in there eh? Interesting! The cake looks lovely

Mar's kids said...

mmm, that does sound good (although I may use more than a dash of the hot sauce!)

good for you on the detox!

Lap Band Gal said...

Yum! :)